Omicron, Tsitsipas and cryptocurrency Dogecoin have made it on to a listing of the 12 months’s most mispronounced phrases.
The US Captioning Firm – which produces subtitles for dwell TV – surveyed its members to provide a rundown of the phrases that tv presenters and newsreaders have been getting woefully mistaken.
The listing is now in its sixth 12 months and was commissioned by Babbel, a language-learning platform with headquarters in Berlin and New York.
“Newscasters within the US have struggled with 2021′s new phrases and names whereas reporting on key sporting occasions, viral web developments and rising celebrities,” mentioned Esteban Touma, a humorist and trainer for Babbel Stay.
This is the way to get your mouth round a number of the most difficult phrases – and what they imply.
– Cheugy (CHOO-gee): A Technology Z time period to mock outdated and retro issues, or somebody who’s making an attempt too onerous, and is commonly used to poke enjoyable at Millennials.
– Chipotle (chih-POHT-lay): The US quick meals chain began a viral pattern this 12 months by difficult folks to pronounce the identify.
– Dalgona (tal-goh-NAH): A Korean deal with made with melted sugar and baking soda, as seen in hit present Squid Sport.
– Dogecoin (DOHJ-coin): Regardless of having a picture of a canine as its brand, the cryptocurrency’s identify is not so simple.
– Eilish (EYE-lish): She could also be one of many world’s largest stars, however Billie Eilish’s identify continues to be inflicting an issue for some TV presenters.
– Ethereum (ih-THEE-ree-um): One other cryptocurrency with one other tough identify.
– Glasgow (GLAHZ-go): This may occasionally appear an odd one, however the COP26 host metropolis could also be a problem for some outdoors the UK, with President Biden and Barack Obama apparently struggling to say it appropriately.
– Kelce (KELs): NFL participant Jason Kelce of the Philadelphia Eagles mentioned this 12 months that his teammates and the media had been mispronouncing his identify for years.
– Omicron (AH-muh-kraan / OH-mee-kraan): A brand new variant of COVID-19 first recognized in November, named consistent with the World Well being Organisation’s system of figuring out variants with Greek letters. (The pressure is pronounced in another way within the US and the UK).
– Shein (SHEE-in): A preferred Chinese language “quick trend” firm.
– Stefanos Tsitsipas (STEH-fuh-nohs TSEE-tsee-pas): The Greek tennis participant, ranked fourth on the earth, is without doubt one of the sport’s brightest younger stars and reached the French Open ultimate in June.
– Yassify (YEAH-sih-fai): A pattern through which a number of magnificence filters are utilized to well-known photos or portraits for comedian impact.